Official - Lake Nighthorse Recreation Area
2023 season passes can be purchased beginning January 1, 2023 in person at the Durango Community Recreation Center located at 2700 Main Avenue Durango, CO 81301. Prior to January 1st, Parks and Recreation Gift Cards may be purchased at the recreation center and then applied to a Lake Nighthorse pass at any time. Questions? Please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 970-375-7321.
2023 Lake Nighthorse Hours of Operation
30 minutes prior to daily closure, the entrance gate will be closed to access, and boat exit inspections as well as watercraft launches will cease.
During daily operations, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday open to 10 a.m. are quiet & wakeless hours, including holidays.
- April 14 – May 7: Friday, Saturday and Sunday Only; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Non-Motorized Recreation ONLY
- May 12 – 31: Open Daily; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Motorized Recreation Begins May 15
- June 1 – September 4*: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Daily; Guarded Swim Beach June 1 - September 4
*NEW for 2023: Extended hours through September 4th
- September 5 - September 30: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Daily
- October 1 – 15: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Daily
- October 20 – November 12: Friday, Saturday and Sunday Only; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- November 13: Winter Wildlife Closure begins
Lake Nighthorse operations
To ensure quality recreational experiences at Lake Nighthorse Recreation Area, here is a list of City of Durango and Bureau of Reclamation rules and regulations: Lake Nighthorse Recreational Operations (PDF)
Lake Nighthorse Entrance Passes
2023 Park Entrance Pass Options
- Day Pass Vehicle Entrance $10
- Day Pass Walk/Bike Entrance $4
- Season Pass Vehicle:
- 1st for Household $80
- Multiple Vehicle (Same Household) $40
- Season Pass Vehicle Senior *:
- 1st for Household $70
- Multiple Vehicle Senior (Same Household) $35
- Season Pass Walk/Bike $25
- 5-Punch Pass Vehicle $40
- 5-Punch Pass Vehicle Senior * $30
- 5-Punch Pass Walk/Bike $15
Commercial Vehicle / School Bus Day Pass $25
Commercial Vehicle / School Bus 5-Punch Pass $100
* Senior is 62 years and over
Lake Nighthorse Swim Beach & Wibit Aqua Park
Wibit Aqua Park Open & Lifeguards on Duty: June 3 - September 4, 2023 from 10 am - 6 pm
Swim beach & Wibit rules posted on site, including: no pets, fishing, glass containers, alcohol and/or drugs, or grilling allowed.
NEW for 2023: The Wibit Aqua Park will be available for public use during four daily sessions, the sessions will be one hour and 45 minutes each. There will be a $5 fee per person/per session with a maximum of 60 individuals per session. In-person reservations will open each day at the swim beach building at 9:30 a.m. Each individual must wear a City-provided Wibit life jacket. Children 6 years of age and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
$5 fee per person/per session with a maximum of 60 individuals per session
- 10:00 am - 11:45 am
- 12:00 pm - 1:45 pm
- 2:00 pm - 3:45 pm
- 4:00 pm - 5:45 pm
Activities and Programs offered at Lake Nighthorse
Boat Inspections and Decontamination
Ballasted Boat Decontamination Schedule:
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays: No decontamination of ballasted boats
- Thursday through Monday: Decontamination of ballasted boats will be limited to May 15 - Sept 4: 8 am to 5 pm and Oct 1 - Nov 12: 9am - 4pm
Decontamination of non-ballasted boats will be available daily. Ballasted boats with valid green seal and white receipts may launch following incoming inspection and seal removal at any time when the lake is open.
All fishing at Lake Nighthorse requires a Colorado Parks and Wildlife fishing license for individuals 16 years of age and older. For information on where to purchase a fishing license, click here (Where to Buy Fishing Licenses PDF).
ADA fishing dock is located adjacent to the Boat Ramp Parking Lot.
Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, and Kokanee Salmon have been stocked since 2011. Other species in the lake include White and Flannelmouth suckers, Fathead Minnows, Johnny Darters, and Crayfish. Fishing Regulations are:
- Bag limit is 4 trout per day and 8 in possession (no size limit restrictions).
- Anglers can use traditional baits (see Colorado Parks and Wildlife Fishing Brochure for definitions; e.g., no live bait allowed).
- Limit on Kokanee Salmon is 10 per day and 10 in possession. No snagging is allowed.
- No fishing where signs are posted.
- Please put fish entrails in the garbage, not the lake.
- Aquatic Nuisance Species Boat Inspections are mandatory at Lake Nighthorse.
Lake Nighthorse was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation as part of the Animas La Plata (ALP) Project. The lake is full and the surface area is approximately 1,500 acres at maximum elevation and the reservoir area includes a total of approximately 5,500 acres. The reservoir site is two miles from downtown Durango and provides a significant recreational amenity to the area.
2021 Lake Nighthorse wakeless use public engagement meetings
The City of Durango Parks and Recreation Department invited interested community members to virtual meetings exploring possibilities for adapting management of wakeless use at Lake Nighthorse Recreation Area. The purpose of the engagement process is not to reconsider allowable recreational uses but to discuss opportunities for adjusting the balance of existing recreational uses.
Information from these meetings includes:
- February 22 Meeting Presentation
- February 24 Meeting Presentation
- Public comment sent to email@example.com as of 3-18-21
- Combined Questions and Answers received during these meetings
- March 10 Parks and Recreation Advisory Board adaptive management presentation.
- Lake Nighthorse 2018 Season Report (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse 2019 Season Report (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse 2020 Season Report (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse 2021 Season Report (PDF).
Public Meeting Information:
Public Meeting Summary:
- Bureau of Reclamation 2016 Environmental Assessment
- 2014 Lake Nighthorse Final Conceptual Recreation Master Plan (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse Area Map (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse Economic Impact of Recreation Use (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse Recreation Market Assessment (PDF)
- 2011 Lake Nighthorse Draft Master Plan (PDF)
- Lake Nighthorse Public Presentation from June 18, 2014 (PDF)
For questions to the City of Durango Parks and Recreation Department regarding the current status of recreation at Lake Nighthorse, please email the Parks and Rec Department