Durango, CO: Councilors on Tuesday are scheduled to potentially appoint new members to various City of Durango Boards and Commissions, discuss vacancies on boards that are still open, as well as receive a presentation on improvements slated for how the Community Development Department operates.
Councilors have two regularly scheduled meetings on Tuesday: A study session at 2:15 p.m. and a regular meeting at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 949 East Second Ave.
At the study session, council is scheduled to:
- Receive an update from Community Development staff on a variety of process improvements and code amendments which are being undertaken to enhance customer service, improve employee engagement, and achieve Strategic Plan goals. Part of staff's work plan for 2023 includes standardizing incentives for affordable housing projects, expediting project review and creating better definitions of commercial and mixed-use projects. Staff will also ask councilors if it is possible to modify the approval process to see whether any project approvals can be shifted from council to the planning commission, or be done administratively.
- Discuss how to move forward with a financing plan and project delivery for the next phase of the Durango-La Plata County Airport terminal project. The first phase of the terminal project broke ground in April. The design process for the second phase will take place over the next year, while the first phase is completed. Design estimates for the second phase of the terminal development project are $1.85 million.
- Receive an update on projects related to downtown connectivity which includes the MidTown Safety and Connectivity Improvement Project that proposes a two-way protected cycle track along East Second Avenue from Rotary to 13th Street and completed sidewalk, and the Camino Crossing Project that proposes an underpass of Camino del Rio near 12th Street.
At the regular meeting, councilors are scheduled to:
- Receive an update from the Powerhouse Science Center on its strategic plan, including the center's 2023 major initiatives including, in part, childcare partnerships, exhibit planning, and campus improvements.
- Discuss the appointment of council liaisons to boards and commissions, as well as appoint candidates to various City of Durango Boards and Commissions.
To receive updated news from the city, sign up at Notify Me and select "City of Durango News Flash"
Public Information Officer
Phone: (970) 375-5090