Durango, CO: City Council is scheduled to decide Tuesday whether to allocate $5.2 million for affordable housing efforts, as well as receive an update on the efforts to form a Durango Library District.
Council will review several additional topics during its two regularly scheduled meetings. Council will meet for a study session at 2:15 p.m. and a regular meeting at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 949 East Second Ave.
At the study session, council is scheduled to:
- Follow up on the priorities laid out during the council retreat last month, which include housing, facilities, parks, open space and trails, multimodal, transportation, streets, bridges and alleys and storm water drainage.
- Receive an update from Library Director Luke Alvey-Henderson, who is scheduled to recommend the city work with La Plata County to form an issues committee that would draft a petition to get a library district on the ballot.
At the regular meeting council will consider:
- A request for a public hearing to discuss increasing service fees for fire protection, rescue, and emergency services provided by the Durango Fire Protection District. The fire district has an increase in demand for services that is roughly proportionate to the growth in additional housing units and non-residential floor area.
- A request a public hearing on the construction of a new McDonald’s restaurant in Three Springs.
- An ordinance for the annexation of land at the corner of Florida Road and Colorado Avenue that is slated for 38 housing units, with townhomes, patio homes and detached single-family homes.
- Whether to allocate $5.2 million toward affordable housing efforts. This funding package includes $1 million from the city's remaining American Rescue Plan Act funding, $3.2 million from the General Fund Opportunity Reserve, and $1 million from a recently awarded grant through the Department of Local Affairs Innovative Housing Incentive Grant Program.
- Whether to go into executive session to discuss to discuss the purchase, acquisition, lease, transfer, or sale of city property consisting of approximately 62,000 square feet located at the corner of Camino del Rio and West College Drive.
To receive updated news from the city, sign up at Notify Me and select "City of Durango News Flash"
Public Information Officer - Spokesman
Phone: (970) 375-5090