Utility Bill Charges
Understanding My Water Charges
- City utility bills reflect water usage in thousands of gallons (12 is actually 12,000 gallons).
- All monthly water charges will consist of a base service charge and a monthly volumetric flow charge.
- The city has different volumetric rates for residential and commercial customers.
- The winter rate schedule generally applies to water used during the months of September through April, with a billing cycle of October through May.
- The summer rate schedule generally applies to water used during the months of May through August, with a billing cycle of June through September.
- When declared by the City Manager and confirmed by City Council, an emergency drought surcharge will be imposed in addition to the rates in effect at the time of the declaration.
- Find the water rates.
Understanding My Sewer Charges
- Residential sewer charges will consist of a base service charge and a monthly volumetric flow charge based on water consumption during the three month period of January, February, and March.
- Residential accounts that have not established an average during the months of January, February, and March, will have a monthly flow charge calculated based on the average winter water use for all residential customers.
- Commercial sewer charges will consist of a base service charge and a monthly volumetric flow charge based on water used during the current billing cycle.
- The City's sewer rates are designed to provide for a stable revenue stream from base charges, and to collect revenue required for increased treatment through flow charges in an effort to create equity among our users. Heavy users that place a larger demand on the water and sewer infrastructure and treatment plants are charged more than light users that create a smaller demand. Simply put, users pay for what they consume and send downstream to the Santa Rita Water Reclamation Facility for treatment.
- Find the sewer rates here.
Understanding My Trash, Recycling, and Sustainability Charges
- The City of Durango offers residential trash and recycling collection to customers. Learn more about the trash collection and fees and the recycling collection and fees.
- The City of Durango offers commercial trash and recycling services for businesses located within the city limits. The City offers discounted commercial recycling rates to businesses that subscribe to the City's trash collection services. Learn more about the commercial program and rates.
- Sustainability: A flat fee of $2.30 is charged to accounts. Learn more about the City's Sustainability Programs.
Understanding My Spring and Fall Cleanup Charge
- Residential customers within the City limits are provided Spring and Fall Cleanup services. Learn more about the services.