How It Works
The City of Durango offers commercial recycling services for businesses and multi-family complexes located within the City Limits. Any business that is currently receiving City water or sewer services may sign up for the City's commercial recycling program.
Why Recycle with the City of Durango?
With discounted rates for businesses already subscribed to the City's garbage collection services, recycling through the City of Durango provides an easy and affordable way to make sure your business's waste is being managed sustainably, while supporting our local economy.
The City of Durango offers three recycling streams for local businesses:
1. Single Stream
- Single Stream recycling may be collected up to five times per week
- Corrugated cardboard may be collected up to five times per week
3. Mixed Glass
- Glass is collected once per week, on Wednesdays
For more information on commercial collection containers, view schedules and rates.
- Make sure all tenants/employees know what can and cannot be recycled in your recycling container(s)
- Display the Single Stream Guidelines (PDF) somewhere visible
- Do NOT place glass, plastic bags, Styrofoam, food waste or garbage in your blue Single Stream container - this could result in your entire container becoming contaminated
- Place properly prepared materials in your recycling container(s)
- All containers must be empty and rinsed out
- Recyclable material should be loose and un-bagged (with the exception of shredded paper which should be bagged)
- Place recycling containers out by 6:00 am on your collection day(s)
- If you use a locking mechanism to prevent contamination, please unlock the container prior to your scheduled service
- Collection containers may not be stored within public rights of way without permission from the City Operations Department and require 3 feet of clearance on either side and behind the container for automated collection
- Collection within each building is the responsibility of the owner or tenant.
Sign up and Orientation
City staff is available to meet with building owners, renters and/or employees for a brief orientation prior to initiating a recycling program in order to review:
- acceptable materials
- guidelines for participation
- how to properly prepare recyclables
- collection containers, schedules and times.
Please call (970) 375-5004 to set up an appointment.